Friday, December 9, 2011

The Colour Naranja

If you haven't figured out from my blog name, I am an absolute fanatic about cherries. Just wait till May when fresh cherries come in season and I will be carrying on about cherries for possibly weeks. My next favourite fruits (in no particular order) are probably guava, cranberries, and grapefruit.

Ah. Grapefruit.

A very cool thing about living in Texas is citrus from the (Rio Grande) Valley. So I was in Walmart not too long ago and there I found 18 pound bags of oranges for 8 bucks apiece. My first thought was "what's wrong with them, they're so cheap?" My second thought was "OMG! That's a great price on oranges!" Oranges are in season and they were Texas produce; support your local farmers and all that, so I grabbed a bag.

What was wrong with them was they were seedy, but juicy and oh so sweet. Made 2 full pitchers of juice from the 18 pounds. A little pulpy, nothing like chewing your juice.

A couple days later, walking out of our local taqueria after a Mexican breakfast, bumped right into this Latino with a pickup bed filled with fruit. Bunch of stuff but I focused on the pineapples, and the oranges. "Quanto?" I asked but he spoke perfect English. Four dollars for a 10 pound bag. "Are they from Mexico?" I queried. No, he said, Texas. McAllen. Fortuitously, I had some cash on me (I never carry cash!) and picked up a bag.

I should have bought 2 bags. They were sweet and juicy and made juice with just the right amount of pulp. Perfect juice from perfect oranges.

Naturally. They were Texas oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment